Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Construction/Planning, Facilities/Grounds/Skilled Trades
Department: CPFM Facilities Services
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $21.58 – $27.31 per hour
Review of Applications Begins
Position Closes December 15, 2022
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please submit a current resume with your application.
All applications must be submitted here, https://careers.uoregon.edu/en-us/job/530797/carpenter
Campus Planning and Facilities Management (CPFM) is a vibrant department, which comprises five units and approximately 270 employees: Facilities Services, Utilities & Energy, Campus Planning, Office of Sustainability, and Design & Construction. The units of CPFM strive to provide excellent customer service to the University of Oregon campus and operate with the highest professional standards, communicating and collaborating with customers to support the stewardship of the campus.
Facilities Services (FS) is responsible for the management of human, financial, and material resources, the development and implementation of programs, policies, and procedures related to the operation, maintenance, repair, and minor renovation of university buildings, grounds, and infrastructure systems. These services provide the University of Oregon community with a safe, efficient, reliable, functional, and aesthetically-pleasing learning environment in support of the University’s mission and vision.
The Carpentry Shop provides a safe and quality environment for students, staff, and community through maintenance and repair of interior and exterior facility structures and architectural systems and components. This includes maintenance, repair, and installation of doors, windows, stairs, floors, ceilings, cabinetry/furniture, restroom accessories, etc.
The Carpenter performs skilled journey-level carpentry work in the construction, maintenance, repair, and remodeling of building structures and components including furniture. Work is performed in accordance with standard practices of the trade.
Interactions/contacts occur daily with the campus and larger community in the course of performing work and responding to emergencies.
Position works as a member of a team while frequently performing tasks independently. Decisions may be made about the best method and materials necessary to ensure professional building practices. They may also include setting priorities and troubleshooting and emergency response situations.
Work is reviewed regularly by the CPFM Supervisor to ensure it is performed efficiently and safely, and that it meets both expectations and applicable requirements. A performance appraisal is conducted annually.
Regularly working in high places, in tunnels, and outside in extreme temperatures.
On Call Rotation
This position may be required to participate in an on call rotation. Being on call requires the participant to live in an area with cell phone reception or to be within cell phone reception for the entire duration of the on call period. On call also requires the participant to be within a 1 hour drive of the UO campus for the entire duration of the on call period to be able to respond to issues if needed. On call periods are typically 1-4 weeks in duration.
This unit provides essential services during times of emergencies and inclement weather. This position may be required to fulfill essential services and functions during these times.
• Experience as a skilled carpenter. The experience must include form building; rough framing; outside and inside finishing; layout; care and use of tools and woodworking machinery; blueprint reading; and application of safety standards and codes; OR
• Completion of an apprenticeship (four years) under a skilled carpenter which included experience as listed above.
• Perform duties in a way that advances and supports the mission of the department and university.
• Work effectively in a diverse team environment and create effective relationships for problem solving and positive interactions.
• Take initiative, looking for what needs to be done and doing it.
• Pay close attention to detail.
• Maintain a safe and safety-conscious workplace.
• Maintain a respectful workplace, and model a positive and proactive attitude.
• Model the highest ethical standards.
• Provide superior customer service.
• Experience with sheet rock, mud/tape/texture skills.
• Experience painting: brush, roller, and airless capabilities.
• Experience roofing: membrane roofs, shake/shingles, and asphalt.