Location: Eugene, OR
Categories: Administrative/Professional, Construction/Planning, Facilities/Grounds/Skilled Trades, Operations/Infrastructure, Public Policy and Planning, Engineering/Biomedical Engineering
Department: Safety and Risk Services
Classification: Environ Health Safety Pro 1
Appointment Type and Duration: Regular, Ongoing
Salary: $19.72 – $29.96 per hour
Review of Applications Begins
Position closes on September 4th, 2023
Special Instructions to Applicants
In addition to your application please include:
1) A current resume
2) A cover letter that clearly articulates how your skills and experience make you an ideal candidate for this position.
All applications must be submitted here, https://careers.uoregon.edu/en-us/job/532408/hazardous-materials-specialist
Safety and Risk Services’ (SRS) mission is to collaborate with all campus constituents (students, staff, faculty and visitors) and the surrounding community, to safeguard life and health and mitigate threats to the university’s core mission of academic excellence, research, and public service. Safety and Risk Services comprises Emergency Management and Fire Prevention, Environmental Health and Safety, Location Innovation Lab, Risk Management and the University of Oregon Police Department. SRS fulfills its mission by providing a variety of professional services, technical assistance, trainings, and regulatory oversight.
Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) promotes compliance and responsible behaviors as exemplified and required by health, safety, and environmental standards, codes, regulations, and university programs. The department provides educational, monitoring, problem-solving, and support service functions to the entire university community.
SRS is a unit within the Finance and Administration portfolio. Finance and Administration is a vibrant and varied portfolio serving all aspects of campus life. Our employees perform a wide range of functions including offering essential financial tools and support to the university’s many departments, providing key resources to employees, and keeping campus safe, clean, accessible and beautiful.
Safety & Risk Services – Environmental Health & Safety is looking for a Hazardous Materials Specialist to apply general knowledge of hazardous materials, which includes regulatory compliance assessment, and implementation of materials handling and shipping procedures.
The purpose of this position is to apply general knowledge of hazardous materials to assist with hazardous materials related programs and professional services EH&S provides to the university. This includes regulatory compliance assessment, and implementation of materials handling and shipping procedures. It also includes material handling support to the hazardous and universal waste management programs and associated program compliance activities. Hazardous materials and wastes may include biological, chemical, and/or radioactive constituents. Universal wastes include fluorescent light tubes, batteries, and other materials that are hazardous if not appropriately managed through a universal waste recovery program.
It is an essential requirement of this position to qualify for and maintain UO driver’s certification eligibility, which includes maintaining an Oregon driver’s license throughout employment in this position. It is an essential requirement of this position to obtain and maintain HAZWOPER certification within 6 months of hire; this includes ability to use protective equipment including but not limited to full-face respiratory protection.
• Bachelor’s degree with primary focus (45 quarter hours or 32 semester hours) in the physical sciences; OR
• An Associate’s degree in the science field and two years of related experience; OR
• A satisfactory equivalent combination of education, experience, and/or professional certifications.
Preference may be given to applicants who have completed graduate-level courses or have additional experience in Industrial Hygiene, or in occupational, public, or environmental programs. Transcripts must be submitted for all required and/or related courses.
• Perform duties in a way that advances and supports the mission of the department and university.
• Work effectively in a diverse team environment and create effective relationships for problem solving and positive interactions.
• Ability to make independent decisions.
• Take initiative, looking for what needs to be done and doing it.
• Pay close attention to detail.
• Maintain a safe and safety-conscious workplace.
• Maintain a respectful workplace and model a positive and proactive attitude.
• Model the highest ethical standards.
• Provide superior customer service.
• Experience working in higher education.
• 2 years experience handling hazardous materials.
• 2 years experience handling hazardous wastes.
• 2 years experience handling universal wastes.
• 2 years experience shipping hazardous materials.
• 2 years experience using analytical instrumentation or electronic monitoring equipment.
• 2 years experience performing compliance assessments or audits.
• Current HAZWOPER certification
FLSA Exempt: No