Job Announcement – Communications Manager
We are an entrepreneurial nonprofit that believes California has the capacity to ensure that every student develops the knowledge, skills, and ability to make informed decisions about environmental issues facing our communities and our world. We work collaboratively to bring California schools, environmental education providers, teachers, parents, and students together to ensure a thriving planet for future generations.
We work with our partners to support a new generation of young people in understanding and caring for the planet. We foster efforts to infuse environmental themes into core subjects, and empower teachers to use the environment as a context for learning in core subject areas—science, history-social science, English language arts, and more. We believe all California students deserve a high-quality education that promotes achievement, health, and wellbeing, and we have a unique opportunity currently to ensure that happens.
We are looking for a communications manager to develop and implement Ten Strands’ communication strategy and lead the communications strategy for the California Environmental Literacy Initiative—a major initiative of Ten Strands. This person will create and distribute top-notch content, measure performance to keep our content efforts aligned to business goals, and position Ten Strands as a trustworthy thought leader in environmental literacy in California.
Who you are
An individual with a strong background in communications strategy and content development who is committed to education, the environment, and environmental justice. You are passionate about culturally relevant, meaningful, and equitable expansion of environmental literacy for all California students.
What you’ll do
● Develop comprehensive communications strategies to advance our mission, vision, and organizational goals
● Design, implement, and monitor strategic communications campaigns that will further our programmatic, advocacy, and fundraising objectives
● Create communications collateral and content across all communications platforms; Develop stories with Black, Indigenous, and communities of color
● Work with us to prepare and disseminate articles and newsletters, and to build and keep current newsletter distribution lists. Ensure content adheres to our current brand guidelines, communications standards, best practices, and is in alignment with our equity, inclusivity, and cultural competency goals; Support ongoing evolution of our branding
● Define key performance indicators for each communications channel which will indicate a campaign’s level of success and track statistics on our communications platforms; Prepare quarterly reports to share with staff and leadership; Utilize data to drive communications strategies
● Establish communications protocols and document best practices to ensure their use for future communications strategies and campaigns
● Prepare media kits and represent us at events and press conferences
● Reach out to influencers, media, and beyond to arrange story placement on a state, national, and global level
What you’ll offer
● 6+ years experience designing and implementing communications strategies and campaigns; Communications experience in education, environmental, or public policy sectors a plus
● Proficiency in email marketing campaigns, social media, WordPress, Adobe Suite, and Google Analytics
● Current on best practices and able to stay ahead of the curve
● Superior written and verbal communications skills; Excellent grasp of grammar; Ability to write creative and engaging content and translate complex issues into a level appropriate for a variety of audiences
● Proven relationship-builder with strong interpersonal skills; Capable of working well as part of a diverse team as well as independently
● Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment; Aptitude for interpersonal rapport building and working collaboratively with others, including ability to collaborate in a positive, constructive, and succinct manner
● Attention to detail with excellent publication skills e.g., proofreading, copyediting, and knowledge of design and layout
● Results-driven achiever and flexible contributor with strong planning, tracking, and organizational skills; Experience managing and coordinating multiple concurrent projects/activities involving multiple stakeholders; Self-motivated to complete work in a timely manner with minimal oversight
● Analytical, problem solving, and critical thinking skills
What we’ll offer
● Colleagues regularly engaged in conversations about race, class, power and privilege, and dismantling systems of oppression as part of our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
● Compensation in the range of $65,000/yr – $80,000/yr
● 100% covered competitive medical, dental, vision, life and long-term disability insurance for full-time employees
● Generous paid time off and paid holidays
● 401(k) plan with discretionary contribution
● Learning and development opportunities
● This position can be based anywhere in California. Work is conducted in your home office or an offsite location or our office in the Presidio, San Francisco.
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please email your cover letter and resume in confidence to: Isabel Montilla, recruiter, at email@example.com.
Ten Strands is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. We seek to fill this position with someone who shares our values, including our organizational commitment to diversity. We encourage all interested individuals to apply — especially Black, Indigenous, and people of color; women; people from low-income backgrounds; people with disabilities; people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender or anyone belonging to any other federal or state protected category. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Isabel Montilla at firstname.lastname@example.org.